The range of cyber security threats facing businesses is greater than ever, and it’s crucial for businesses of all sizes to take steps to protect their systems against attack. From data breaches to ransomware attacks, the potential consequences of falling victim to cybercrime are serious and could result in financial losses, reputation damage, and regulatory fines.
Cyber attacks come in many forms, but the mast majority are basic in nature and easily preventable with good protection. That’s where Cyber Essentials comes in: it’s a certification scheme backed by the government, designed to ensure businesses are protected against the most common cyber threats.
What is Cyber Essentials?
Cyber Essentials is a Government-backed scheme that helps to protect organisations of all sizes against a range of the most common cyber attacks. Certification gives you the peace of mind that your business is protected against an attack, and demonstrates to customers, clients and stakeholders that your business is committed to robust cyber security defences.
There are two levels of Cyber Essentials certification:
• Cyber Essentials: designed to give your business protection against a wide range of the most common cyber security attacks
• Cyber Essentials Plus: the same straightforward approach as Cyber Essentials, with the same requirements for businesses, but with an additional technical audit
Why is Cyber Essentials important for businesses?
All businesses have a responsibility to their customers, clients and stakeholders to protect against a cyber attack. Going through the Cyber Essentials certification will give you a good understanding of your organisation’s cyber security position, and it provides a thorough, easy to follow structure that’ll help you ensure that you’re defending against the most common cyber attacks.
The benefits of Cyber Essentials certification for businesses
• Certification reassures customers that your systems (and their data) are protected against cyber attack
• Some government contracts require Cyber Essentials certification
• Certification can help you attract new business with the assurance you’ve got robust cyber security measures in place
• It’ll help you get a clear picture of your organisation’s cyber security level
Get help with Cyber Essentials certification
We’ve helped lots of businesses through the Cyber Essentials certification process. We can guide you through the necessary steps, and help you with any aspect of cyber security that needs work, from firewalls and software updates to advanced vulnerability scanning and intrusion detection.
If you’ve got any questions, book a free online consultation with our team or give us a call on 01209 340120. You can also fill out our contact form and we’ll be in touch.